As a person who really loves watching and playing computer games, I really wonder whether people outside know the meanings of the following acronyms and/or expressions. Well, today, I decided to give it a try:
1. gg: Short form for good game.It is usually typed at the end of a game as a sign of surrender/accomplishment, and mostly as a form of common courtesy. The acronym can also mean “great game”, when an epic match is played between two teams, however, this kind of usage is rare. Players are not supposed to type this before the end of a game; it is usually unethical and rude to do so.
2. bg: Short form for bad game. Typed at the end of a game, it is used by people who feel bitter about their game. It may be due to their performance or mistakes, though it is usually used to imply that most people on the team played very badly.
3. wp: Short form for well played. It is usually typed along with gg; it can mean a good game. However, it is usually used as a sign of respect for the opposing team.
4. ty: Short form for thank you. When used in conjunction with gg or gg wp, it expresses appreciation for the efforts of the opposing team.
5. gl: Short form for good luck. It is recommended for a player to type this before the game begins. It is sportsmanship to do do.
6. hf: Short form for have fun. Same reasons as #6.
7. u2: Short form for you too.
8. mp: Short form for magic/mana points. Usually used to inform teammates that one lacks the energy used to activate certain skills in thegame.
9. otw: Short form for on the way. This is used when a teammate is quite far away and goes to the spot where the rest of the team is located.
10. otg: Short form for on the ground. This is used when a teammate wants to indicate that an important item is on the ground.
11. noob: A derisive form of “newbie”, this indicates either inexperience or inability to adjust to the game mechanics despite the fact that the player has played it for a very long time.
12. quit pls: It is used either to politely or angrily ask the player to leave the game. This is used when a player must leave in order to make the team’s chances of winning increase.
13. drop pls: It is used to tell the players to drop someone that has disconnected from the game. This is only demanded when the player in question ruins the overall game experience due to the internet connection that is being used.
14. kick pls: It is used to tell people to kick someone out of the game for disruptive behavior. This is one of the most extreme types of punishment, and must be used with caution, even as a joke.
15. op: Short form for over-powered. This is used to indicate that a certain character, lineup, opening, or tactic is so strong that it can basically win a match all by itself.
16. rush: This is used to indicate a strategy that aims to end the game within a very short period of time. Also known as “zerging”, after the famous zergling rush in Starcraft.
17. cheese: This is used to indicate a strategy that is not normally used and that does not bring benefits early on. A term that is related to this word is “pocket strat”, which is basically an unorthodox strategy.
18. sorry: This is used when someone has just came back from AFK mode, and when someone has delayed or dirupted the overall game experience.
19. afk: “Away from keyboard”. The term is clear-cut for everyone. In other words, one is not playing actively and is doing something else.
20. ping: Either it means that one should ping a certain point of interest on the map, or it means that someone has connection problems.
THEN here are the words that are used elsewhere:
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA): pick, ban, farm, gank, push
RTS/Strategy: turtle (aka long-term investment), steamroll (slow but sure), expand, harass (distracting the enemy), scout
Role-Playing/RPG: grind, raid, dungeon, clan war (CW), duel
First-Person or Third-Person shooter/FPS/TPS: go to (X), camping, spawn, trap, raze (spawn trap is also a very famous concept in these parts)
I. b: Short form for back. Used only in MOBA and FPS games.
II. g: Short form for game. It indicates whether someone should unpause or start the match/round.
II. y?: Short form for “yes?” or “yeah?” Removing the question mark will make them attain their standard definition.
IV. gj: Short form for “good job”. Same usage as “wp”, though this acronym is usable at all stages of a match.
There are a lot of terms such as ss, nm, nt, nb, miss, misclick, mphack, apm, gpm, exp, mod, among others :)) Will be revised accordingly.
HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING. gg wp.